Is there a time limit for DUI charges to be filed 3 Answers as of March 09, 2011

If a person is arrested on "suspicion" of DUI not charged yet they blew .07 & .066. The date was February 24,2011. Do they have a limit to file charges?

The Statute of limitations on a misdemeanor and gross misdemeanors is one year. If the case is not filed by the one-year anniversary of your arrest, the charges must be dismissed. However, if you leave the state or miss a court date, that tolls or pauses the Statute of Limitations. I'd be interested in talking with you about your case because I have a hunch that your charges could be beaten in a trial.
Mercado & Hartung
Mercado & Hartung | Stephanie Hartung
Even though the breath test is under the legal limit Washington law allows one to be charged with DUI if the State/City can prove the subject was affected by the alcohol they drank. DUI is a gross misdemeanor which means the State/City has two years to file charges. It is very common for many jurisdictions in Washington to delay charging for several months. I have personally represented individuals that were charged a year after the date of arrest. An attorney in your area can give you a good idea how long your particular jurisdiction takes. We offer free consultations and I would happy to give you more information as I understand what a frustrating process this can be-especially with such a low breath test.
Karmali Law Office, PLLC
Karmali Law Office, PLLC | Hussein Karmali
2 years from the date of the offense.