Is there such a thing as stipulation on a trust fund as someone having to have a fiance to receive funds? 17 Answers as of October 14, 2013

Someone wants to have me state that I am their fiance in order to have funds released to her from her father's trust fund. Is this a scam?

Law Office of Thomas C. Phipps | Thomas C Phipps
Of course it's a scam if you are not her fiance. She will have to abide by the terms of the trust in any event.
Jeffs & Jeffs, P.C.
Jeffs & Jeffs, P.C. | Kenneth A. Prigmore
If you are not the fiance, this is definitely a scam. Trusts can sometimes come up with quirky requirements for payment to beneficiaries, but this sounds truly fishy.
Singletary Law Offices, PLLC | Alexis R Singletary
It depends on the terms of the referenced Trust document and terms. I have heard of Trustors requiring certain life events before a distribution can be made to a beneficiary. The person who wants you to acknowledge the relationship should ask for a copy of the Trust document showing that the fiance status is required for her to receive funds.
Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
If you are not in fact the fiance, then I would not do this. Do you know this person? If so, then perhaps she can show you a copy of the trust.
Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
It is not impossible. Whoever created the Trust could have included this stipulation.
    James Law Group
    James Law Group | Christine James
    If it is an international trust fund it is a scam. I am not sure if it is you, but there have been several inquiries on several legal websites about this. I know it is exciting to think you may be getting some money, but I promise you all you will do is spend money and never see a dime. Let it go. If it is not international, even still, as fiance, you have no legal rights to your fiance's inheritance in any event so stay clear.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    One way or the other it's a scam. If you're not actually affianced, then saying that you are in order to get funds from the trust is conspiring to perpetrate a fraud. Father could have made her receipt of funds contingent upon her being married or affianced to marry. But that's very, very old school, I've never seen anything like that in my 15 years as a lawyer, nor been asked to draft such a thing.
    Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C.
    Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C. | Bernard H. Greenberg
    Start by asking to see the trust and review the provision in question.
    Yes a Scam and a fraud upon the trust.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
    No way to know. Trusts may have peculiar requirements. You could ask to see a copy. This information is only intended to give general information in response to an inquiry. It does not establish an attorney client relationship. This response is only based upon the limited facts presented and is merely intended to assist you in determining if you should contact an attorney to provide you with legal advice.
    It's a scam, stay clear.
    Estrada Law P.C. | Michele Ungvarsky
    People place all types of requirements into trusts to ensure their wishes are carried out. It is possible that your acquaintance may need a fiance to receive the funds.
    Answer Applies to: New Mexico
    It's a scam on the trust. The trust can be set up with any number of restrictions and provisos, so it is not unexpected that it may require a person to be engaged to get money. However, if you tell somebody you are his fiance and are not, that is lying. It may not be crime, but it isn't right.
    O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C.
    O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C. | Sean P. O'Keefe
    In Maryland, that sounds possible, because the terms of a trust could require a beneficiary to meet a certain condition(s), such as being engaged, in order to receive funds.
    R. Steven Chambers PLLC | R. Steven Chambers PLLC
    If you are not her fiance then it sounds like a scam to me.
    Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
    It may or may not be. It all depends on the trust document. The trust will spell out exactly what the beneficiary can or can?t do. But if you feel that there is something illegal to it, retain an attorney to be able to request the document or you can simply say no.
    The Krone Law Firm, LLC | Norman B. Krone
    Yes, this is a scam if you are not truly the fiance.