Is there a statute of limitations regarding excise tax in Rhode Island? 1 Answers as of January 27, 2011

I moved to CA in 2000, but did not register my car here until 2001. I recently received a collection attempt from an attorney in RI for the cars 2000-2001 Providence, RI vehicle excise tax. I have not made any contact regarding this tax over the past decade. A friend here mentioned that there might be a statute of limitations on collecting this debt. The letter says that I have 30 days to respond to their letter. Before I respond to this collection attempt, I want to see if there is in fact a Statute of Limitations and what that period is. If there is such a statute, will contacting the agency to get more detail void the statute of limitations? If you do not know the answer, any suggestions on who I could contact for this type of advice? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you!

Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
Generally, the statute of limitations only begins to run when a return is filed. If no tax return has ever been filed regarding this excise tax, then the statute of limitations has not run out. You should probably discuss this matter with a RI tax attorney if taxes, interest and penalties due are significant.