Is there a statute of limitations on owed child support? 6 Answers as of January 26, 2011

An ex lover of mine (20 years ago) just approached me out of nowhere about getting tested to see if her son is my child. He is 20 and I live in California. I am trying to find the statue of limitations for child support if indeed I take the test and the child turns out to be mine.

Michael Rose Attorney at Law
Michael Rose Attorney at Law | Michael Rose
Child support starts when Mom or Dad request support or the welfare system goes after the non custodial parent to pay support and pay back the welfare. A 20 year old is not a child and you can not go back after something that mother did not ask for in the years before the age of 18. If you find out that the child is yours you will be a Father! If you want to make it legal call us and we will do it.
If your ex-lover never filed a child support case against you during the child's minority to obtain a child support order against you, she can't file such a case against you after the child reaches majority. On the other hand, if she did obtain a child support order against you during the child's minority, there isn't a statute of limitations on her collection of child support pursuant to that order. If she collected public assistance during the child's minority, welfare could seek repayment of the child support portion of that public assistance from you.
This is a complicated issue, pitting your possible desire to establish a relationship with someone who is possibly your child with some potentially very serious financial consequences. If the mother was on AFDC/Aid, then you might get hit with a whopping bill from the State. Your pay checks and income tax refunds will probably be garnished. Your Driver's License and other state licenses can be suspended. It can become a real nightmare. You have to ask yourself: why, after all these years, is she coming forward now? If she thought it was your child, why did she deprive you of a relationship with the child for all of these years? I would be very skeptical and suspicious of her motivation. There is no statute of limitations on the state collecting this debt from you of which I am aware.
Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP
Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP | Paul M. Teinert
You will not be required to pay back child support. You would only have to pay from the time paternity was established and the mother filed for support. However, the requirement to pay child support ends when the child turns 18 or graduates high school barring any special circumstance such as if the child were mentally disabled. So, since the child is over 18 you will not have to pay any support.
Pisarra and Grist
Pisarra and Grist | David T. Pisarra
Take the test. She can't get you for back support, and he's over 18 so there's no current support you'll owe.
    Goldberg Jones
    Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
    Sounds like she waited too long to get any money from you.