Is there a statute of limitations for collecting in a dog accident? Posted on August 03, 2011

Our dog was out roaming the streets without our knowledge and attacked another dog who was being walked by his owners. The other dog which was a mixed Maltese that was 5 yrs old was so hurt that they had to put it down to sleep. Our family is deeply sorry for what has transpired. We spoke to the owner and he wants us to pay for the Vet bill . . . Which is fine but, when I asked for the bill he said he " I don't have that" then he said he wanted 2500 for their loss. Then I asked what he paid for the dog and he advised me that it was 600. I feel that he wants to really screw us and although I feel he deserves compensation I don't think that the amount he is asking for is reasonable. We live in CA and I want to know if there is a "STATUE OF LIMITATIONS" for Dog on dog attacks?