Is there a statute of limitation for check deposits? 2 Answers as of September 29, 2014

I guess I wrote a check for rent 5 years ago. My old landlord just called me today to tell me she found the check and was going to deposit it. First of all I don't ever remember having extra money from a check that hadn't cleared. And she gave me a refund of my deposit when I moved out. Is there a statute of limitation regarding this situation? I don't even have that account anymore.

Law Office of Jeffrey T. Reed | Jeffrey T. Reed
If it really was 5 years ago and the account is closed I doubt there's anything your old landlord can do to collect.
Check with the bank the check is written against to see what their rules are as I doubt there is any statute on the matter. I suspect the check is no longer any good. Tell the landlord not to deposit the money until you know whether it is still good as there would be a bounced check charge if it is not.