Is there something I can do to claim my rights to a deceased parent’s property that was sold by my elder sister? 27 Answers as of December 18, 2013

It was sold for 1.8 mil. and white washing the documents to accomplish it?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
Depends on whether or not a Will.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 12/18/2013
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
Assuming there was an estate you can object in the probate. If not , you would have to sue her.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 12/13/2013
Attorney at Law
Attorney at Law | Frances An
Yes. You will have to file a Petition with the probate court in the county where your parent died. You will have to present all the evidence for your side. Your proof as to what happened. She will have to prove why she was entitled to everything. There could be criminal charges involved.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/11/2013
Law Office of Nathan Wagner
Law Office of Nathan Wagner | Nathan J. Wagner
The first step is to find out whether you have any rights to your deceased parent's property. You should talk to a local probate attorney, show them the whitewashed documents, and tell them what has happened so far. If there is really 1.8 million dollars at stake, you should get a professional involved as soon as possible.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/11/2013
Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
I do not know what you mean by "white washing the documents." If the property was sold by your sister, title would have had to have been in her name or she would have had to have legal authority to sell, such as under a Will or Trust. Once we know how your sister was able to do this, the next step is to determine whether there is a legitimate way to challenge what took place. There appears to be enough money involved for you to hire a lawyer, in order to investigate further.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 12/11/2013
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    If there is nearly a million dollars on the table, hire a lawyer to look at the specific details of what has happened.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 12/11/2013
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
    Absolutely. Certainly, she had to have authority to sell. I assume from your question that she did not have authority. This should most definitely be looked into.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 12/11/2013
    James Law Group
    James Law Group | Christine James
    It depends upon how long ago it happened and if you knew about it when it was happening. Contact a probate attorney, show any documents you have, and see if you have a case. Most attorneys will give you a free consultation to help you make this determination.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/11/2013
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    Yes, you can hire an attorney to contest the transaction or, more likely, to sue the sister to give you your share. Now, if the sister was the personal representative and had the authority to sell it and you didn't want it sold, no, there is probably nothing you can do. Regardless talk to an attorney about all of the details of the situation.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 12/11/2013
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    You would first need to establish that you were entitled to some portion of the estate. Your question does not provide enough information to determine how your sister was able to sell the real estate. Remember, if the property was transferred to your sister by the deceased parent prior to the death of that parent, she had the ability to sell it and you would not be entitled to any part of those proceeds unless she somehow committed a fraud. In addition, if the deceased parent left the property to your sister in a valid Will, you are not entitled to any part of the property or the proceeds of sale.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 12/11/2013
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    You need to retain a probate attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 12/12/2013
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
    Upon the death of your parents the disposition of their assets would have been controlled by their Wills or their Trusts. The terms of those testamentary documents would control how your parent's property would be distributed. If your parents did not have a Will or Trust then the state statute on descent and distribution would control the distribution of their assets. The disposition of real property can also be controlled by the form of ownership. Obtain a copy of the deed to the property in effect at your parents death, and perhaps the chain of title, and look to how title to the property was held during your parents ownership and control of the property.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 12/11/2013
    Richard J. Keyes Attorney at Law | Richard J. Keyes
    You do not provide enough information in your question. You need to state when your parent died; how the property was held , including any beneficiary designation. Your best course of action is to see an attorney as soon as possible and take the documents with you when you see the attorney. Please note that you should do this as soon as possible because there are statute of limitations in regard to bringing any causes of action against your sister.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 12/12/2013
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    You are talking about that much money and you are looking for free advice on the 'net? Find an experienced probate attorney in your area, pronto.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 12/12/2013
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    Suggest you get a lawyer. you did not give any information that is helpful to understand
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 12/12/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 5 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney