Is there a severe punishment for my boyfriend who was arrested in Louisiana for smoking drugs in a hotel? 1 Answers as of April 13, 2011

My boyfriend was arrested last week in Shreveport. He and his friends were caught smoking methamphetamines, and there was also marijuana found in the room. What is going to happen since police were involved?

Bloom Legal, LLC
Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
This would depend largely upon the specifics of the situation and the amount of the controlled substances in the room and on their persons. Additionally, the specific charges: simple possession, possession with intent to distribute, etc will affect potential penalties. As a general rule, methamphetamine is classified as a schedule II narcotic by the DEA. Simple possession of schedule II narcotics such as methamphetamine carry the following penalties in Louisiana:

-Jail time of up to 5 years -Fines of up to $5,000 First-time marijuana possession charges in Louisiana are considered misdemeanor offenses and carry these penalties: -Jail time of up to 6 months -Fines of up to $500

Every case is different and the specific situation and charges in this matter will ultimately affect the outcome. As you can see though, the potential penalties are very serious in this type of situation and your boyfriend and his friends will need experienced legal defense if they intend to fight the charges and attempt to reduce or suspend their sentences. If you require legal assistance in this matter, we invite you to contact our firm at the information on this page for a free case evaluation to determine whether or not we would be able to assist you.