Is there really such a thing as a work visa leading to a green card? 4 Answers as of February 21, 2011

Is there really such a thing as a work visa leading to a green card for a "Voluntary Service Personal Care Assistant", i.e. Volunteer Caregivers? I'm from the Philippines and there are some immigration consultancy firms which advertise this as a pathway to a green card.

Run away from them. If you find a U.S. sponsor for a work visa you will have to be paid the prevailing wage for that position (volunteer jobs don't' qualify). If that employer is happy with you and you with them, they can sponsor you for a green card but again the wage offer must be for full-time permanent employment at or above the prevailing wage as determined by the U.S. Department of Labor.

If you would like a consultation on the facts of your specific case feel free to contact me as indicated below. I do charge for consultations but whatever you pay for the consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for your case if we are retained for services after the consultation.
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
Yes there are. You must, however, apply for these visas and fit certain requirements.
There is work visa to green card, such as H1B. You need to work with a lawyer to get you the right visa and to obtain green card.
To obtain a Green Card through employment you must be petitioned for a full-time permanent and paid position. This process can take up to 8 years for care giver position. While an H1B or H2 non-immigrant working visa may allow you to temporarily work in the U.S. while the Green Card process in being done, neither "'personal care assistant or caregiver" would qualify for a H visa. Moreover, all working visas require that you are being paid. A volunteer position would not qualify for an working visa or for a Green Card.