Is there a possible way to get my shoplifting record off? 7 Answers as of February 07, 2014

I got caught shoplifting at Walmart and ran to my car after security told me to go to the office. I went to jail and got fingerprinted. I got out on bail and now have a court date. Just to add, once a police came, I went to Walmart and they retrieved there items from trash. Here is the bad part, I should not have done this and I regret it. I am a nurse and I never have done anything like this, I have a clean record with only a speeding ticket to my name and I am 30 years old. I ran to my car because I was feared that my license would be taken and that would affect my future. I thought the security was actually one of the random guys he had street clothes on. I know I was wrong and I am wondering if there is any possible way to get this off my record so this would not affect me or my family and my goals to go back to college.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Austin Legal Services, PLC
Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
Most jurisdictions offer sentencing options that will keep the matter off your public record id you are a first time offender, such as diversion. Contact an experienced criminal defense attorney in your area that handles retail fraud charges for a review of your case, options, and likely outcomes.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/7/2014
Fluhr & Moore, LLC | Steven S. Fluhr
No one gets away with a crime without penalty. You may be given an opportunity to keep this off your record, but are probably in need of a good attorney.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 2/4/2014
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
Sorry, the damage has been done. In Washington, you committed a gross misdemeanor with a sentencing range of 364 days in jail and a $5,000 fine. As a first offense, you will be sentenced to attend a consumer awareness class, do community service, pay a fine, pay restitution, stay away from the store, have no further criminal violations, and be on probation for one year. If there is a diversion program, take it so you will not have a criminal record. If none is available, your attorney can try for a Stipulated order of continuance, where once you have completed the court requirements the charge is dropped. Otherwise, you can seek a differed sentenced. Here, you must plead guilty. After you have completed all of the court terms, the guilty plea is removed and replaced with "deferred." You will have a criminal record and will need to expunge your record. While you are on probation, any background check will show the theft 3 charge. This will impact your ability to get a job, lease an apartment, get a loan and even getting into school.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 2/4/2014
Law Office of James E. Smith
Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
Petition to seal your record.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 2/4/2014
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
If you have not gone to court then get a lawyer ASAP.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 2/4/2014
    Law Office of Andrew Gable | Andrew Gable
    As this is your first offense you may be able to avoid a conviction. In Illinois, another important factor will be the alleged value of the merchandise. You should not post anything else about this situation on the internet.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 2/4/2014
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
    Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 2/4/2014
Click to View More Answers: