Is there is a legal statue on limitation on an unsecured judgment? 13 Answers as of February 07, 2013

Someone says they have an $8,000 dollar judgment default on me from over 5 years ago what are my legal rights and is there is a legal statue on limitation on an unsecured judgment?

The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier | Seth D. Schraier
Whether the judgment is secured or unsecured, once a judgment has been obtained in court, then they have 20 years under New York State law to collect the judgment.
Office of Michael Hyde, Esq | Michael C. Hyde
The general catch all statute in Michigan is 6 years. You should go to the court that issued the default and see what was filed, both the original complaint and the default and any proofs of service that were filed.
Ken Love Law | Kenneth Love
You need to contact the Court to confirm the judgment. In NC judgments last for 10 years and can be renewed for another 10 year period.
In Nevada the statute of limitations is six years unless it is renewed.
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr.
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr. | John C. Farrell, Jr.
I would suggest that you confirm that a judgment is in fact against you. You can pull a copy of your credit report. If you have a judgment they are usually enforceable for 20 years.