Is there a legal document that will allow the wife to be the voice of her deaf mute husband? 31 Answers as of April 08, 2014

I am a recent deaf mute. My wife has been able to speak for me with my doctors and such, but we are having problems with others who refuse to speak with her. The question is: Is there a legal document that will allow my wife to be my voice for anything? I'm not talking about advanced directives, it is not what we need. Thank you in advance for your help.

Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons
Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons | Patrica A Simmons
You should execute a Power of Attorney appointing your wife as your agent. See a probate attorney to draft the document for you.
Edward L. Armstrong, P.C. | Edward L. Armstrong
There are two potential things that you might do in your present circumstance: first, and simplest, would be for you to grant a general power of attorney to your spouse to enable her to transact business on your behalf. Second, and more complicated would be to have court designate her as your legal guardian so that she would be able to conduct business on your behalf. Asking the court to appoint your wife and her legal guardian would require a court proceeding and you would have to retain the services of an attorney to represent you in court. This would undoubtedly be more expensive than simply having an attorney prepare a general power of appointment for you.
LAW OFFICE OF ROBERT I LONG
LAW OFFICE OF ROBERT I LONG | Robert I. Long
A power of attorney is generally sufficient to empower your agent (wife) to step into your shoes for most business and financial matters such as banking and real estate transactions. In California, there is a statutory form which fits most persons needs, and your local court may have a self-help center that can help you prepare one if you cannot afford an attorney. The powers you grant your agent can be sweeping or narrowly tailored to just cover a particular need, such as applying for a loan.
Busch Ruotolo Simpson LLP | Noah Henry Simpson
Most likely a limited power of attorney, expressly limiting her authority to speak for you. Specific and narrow language would be required. You need a lawyer to draft it.
The advance directive contains a power of atty for health care. You can also find on-line a power of atty for asset management.
    Donald T. Scher & Associates, P.C.
    Donald T. Scher & Associates, P.C. | Donald Scher
    Yes, you should give her your durable health care power of attorney and your durable financial/general power of attorney. Then she has legal authority to act on your behalf and you do not have to be incapacitated for her to act.
    Law Office of Jeffrey T. Reed | Jeffrey T. Reed
    It sounds like you need a power of attorney!
    Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
    I believe you need a durable power of attorney form. That would allow your wife to "step into your shoes," and to handle anything that you would otherwise be able to do on your own. These forms are not expensive to have prepared. You should have an attorney set this up for you, so that you can be sure it is done correctly.
    First, if she's translating for you, using her as a translator would be a required reasonable accommodation under the Americans With Disabilities Act. If she's making your healthcare decisions for you, then you need to execute a Healthcare Power of Attorney.
    Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
    You should be able to give her a power of attorney to speak for you. If you make it durable it would allow her to continue to speak for you even if you become more disabled.
    Give her a power of attorney, signed by you, authorizing her to speak and perform transactions on your behalf.
    Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
    General power of attorney and Advance health care directive (The latter is NOT only for end-of-life decisions.)
    Lawyer for Independent Media
    Lawyer for Independent Media | Sue Basko
    You might look into giving her a revocable power of attorney, which gives her the right to make decisions on your behalf. Then she can consult with you and then act on your behalf. However, she will not only be acting as your interpreter, she will also have the right to make decisions. You should consult carefully with an attorney before doing this. As for acting as your interpreter in a formal setting, courts or others may require a registered deaf interpreter who has been certified by an organization. They require this so they know the interpretation is accurate.
    There are several approaches you can take. Your wife can be appointed by the court as your guardian. Or, you can have Powers of Attorney for Finance and Power of Attorney for Health Care drafted.
    The Law Office of David L. Leon
    The Law Office of David L. Leon | David L. Leon
    Yes, you can execute a medical power of attorney and HIPAA form.
    Suggest you consult with an attorney experienced in estate planning who can prepare a durable poer of attorney tailored to your situation.
    Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
    Its called a power of attorney. Not only will she be able to speak for you but will be able to actually transact the business for you. A clause can be placed in there saying you must approve everything that she does without you being present.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    Perhaps a power of attorney.
    I would suspect that what she really need is a simple power of attorney. I would suggest you communicate with a lawyer and have been prepared.
    James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
    James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
    You need to grant her a general durable power of attorney then she can talk for you in all instances.
    A durable power of attorney should help.
    James Law Group
    James Law Group | Christine James
    Power of attorney gives your wife the right to speak to people about your affairs on your behalf. At James Law Group we make every effort to respond to you quickly and efficiently. This means we may be responding to you from a mobile device. As you know, responding on these devices can result in typographical errors that my otherwise not occur. In order to provide this extra service, please be aware of this and excuse any errors that may be caused by responding in this forum.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
    You should meet with an attorney to discuss giving her a general power of attorney. This information is only intended to give general information in response to an inquiry. It does not establish an attorney client relationship. This response is only based upon the limited facts presented and is merely intended to assist you in determining if you should contact an attorney to provide you with legal advice.
    A medical power of attorney should work.
    R. Steven Chambers PLLC | R. Steven Chambers PLLC
    Yes, it's called a durable power of attorney. It appoints your wife (or anyone you name) as your agent to speak on your behalf.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
    You can grant your wife authority to act as your agent with a Power of Attorney for Property and a Power of Attorney for Healthcare. The Healthcare power grants her authority to direct medical care and to receive medical records. The Property power grants her authority to deal with all of your assets and financial accounts. These grants of authority can be as broad or as limited as you want.
    You can provide each person or company with a copy of a notarized document stating that your wife is your translator and must be present due to your physical disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act. You could also sign a Power of Attorney document granting her the authority to act on your behalf in certain circumstances. Best of all, however, is for you to find effective ways to communicate on your own using some of the new technologies available. Check with state agencies, any nearby university with a research hospital, and area support groups for more information about these devices.
    Yes, you can give your wife a Durable Power of Attorney which will allow her to speak on your behalf for all things non-medical. I would be happy to draft one for you at a reasonable cost.
    Hugan Law | Christopher Hugan
    I suggest a general power of attorney and a durable power of attorney for healthcare. Check with a local lawyer because each state?s laws may differ somewhat.
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney