Is there a law to protect an inheritance? 5 Answers as of May 23, 2011

I am being left a beautiful home in a will. The person is not deceased yet. My wife owes back taxes. Can a lien be put the property that is being left to me, or is there a law that protects my inheritance?

Apple Law Firm PLLC
Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
You would have to know more to answer this question. Generally there are ways to protect the assets. You should speak to an asset protection lawyer
It depends on who is liable for the back taxes. Even in community property states inheritance is considered the separate property of the spouse that inherits. If it is only your wife who owes the taxes and she is not inheriting a share of the home it should be safe.
Depends on whether you are responsible for the taxes as well. If it is a tax where she filed separately and is her separate obligation, then you assets cannot be used to satisfy a separate debt.