Is there a law about a company calling me every Sunday about a bill? 5 Answers as of January 27, 2014

Please help I am disabled.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
Yes, that may be a fdcpa violation for which you can sue and collect damages.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 1/27/2014
SmithMarco, P.C.
SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
Kind of. There is a law called the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, which states that it is unlawful to call a person at a time or place known to be inconvenient. Naturally, they would claim that they had no idea that Sundays were inconvenient times for you. Thus, you should tell them, next time they call, that Sunday is not a good day to talk. For whatever reason - religion, family commitments, you name it. You tell them that Sundays are not a good day for you and you cannot take calls on that day, and they have to discontinue attempting to contact you on Sundays.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 1/24/2014
Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
They can call when bill unpaid. If bill large and other debts, you might consider bankruptcy to stop the calls.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 1/23/2014
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act allows you to direct a third party debt collector or debt buyer to cease contact. Under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, you may direct anyone not to place calls to a cell phone using an autodialer or recorded/ artificial voice. An original creditor can call your landline or place manual calls to your cell phone, subject only to fairly restrictive law on harassment, intentional infliction of emotional distress, etc. A complaint to the Attorney General or a regulatory agency might help.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 1/23/2014
Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
YOu can send a letter to the company with a formal demand that it stop having you called and that it communicate with you only by mail. If this does not stop the calls, contact your local legal aid office for assistance.
Answer Applies to: Arkansas
Replied: 1/23/2014
Click to View More Answers: