Is there a disadvantage of completing the I-864A? 3 Answers as of February 21, 2011

What is the disadvantage of completing I-864A by spouse? My petitioner(husband) is unemployed right now, however my income is well enough. Will this affect me in the future?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
The Petitioner is required to file the I-864 even if no income. If you are the Beneficiary you are only able to file I-864A if your income has been from a lawful source and you have been residing together for at least six months. If not, you will need a co-sponsor who also files an I-864 + I-864A if married and filed a joint tax return. Signing the I-864 or I-864A is a contract with the government that is in effect until the Beneficiary has 40 quarters of Social Security income or has become a U.S. citizen.

If you would like a consultation on the facts of your specific case feel free to contact me as indicated below. I do charge for consultations but whatever you pay for the consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for your case if we are retained for services after the consultation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/21/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
Signing I-864A does have legal effect, which is you have to guarantee the immigrant not to be public charge for 10 years. If the person is, government has the right to pursue you.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/31/2011
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
Husband must complete the I-864, even if unemployed. If you are legally authorized to work, you complete the I-864A. If you are not authorized to work, you need a co-sponsor to file another I-864. This co-sponsor must either be an American citizen or a green card holder and meet the income requirement. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/31/2011
Click to View More Answers: