Is there a difference between an attorney or CPA filing taxes? 3 Answers as of March 07, 2011

My attorney offered to file/do my taxes. He isn't a tax attorney by specialization, or a CPA. Are there any levels of ability or certification, or liability, in this area, for individual taxes and for company taxes? If I had any dispute with the IRS, an advantage of the process having started out with the attorney being my filing agent? Was just wondering. His offer seemed friendly but caught my attention.

Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
Attorneys can and do prepare tax returns. However, in my experience tax attorneys with an LL.M in taxation and/or a CPA background are usually the types of attorneys that prepare returns, but not always. If he does not have that type of training or experience, you may want to ask him how many and what type returns he prepares each year. CPAs that do a lot of tax preparation can be quite skillful. However, all of this begs the question, namely, who is most competent and labels is only part of the story. The rest is skill and ability that you need to try to ascertain.
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
Not if the attorney is experienced in filling tax returns. For myself, I have another law degree specializing in taxation from Boston Univ and my CPA does my tax returns.
LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
There is no real difference as long as he knows what he is doing. He is a professional so I think he would not offer unless he was competent to handle it. I don't see an advantage either way as both an attorney and agent can discuss your matter with the IRS.