Is there a conflict of interest if my attorney is also representing my step father? 1 Answers as of January 03, 2012

I've been charged with a crime I did NOT commit. Yes I have provided SOLID evidence of my INNOCENCE. And now I find out that my criminal defense attorney is representing my step father in a divorce against my Mother. I just learned this last month. Not only that, my criminal defense attorney shares a very close friendship with my Step Father. In fact my Step Father is currently Living with my criminal defense attorney. Am I wrong? Or is this a conflict of interest?

Burdon and Merlitti
Burdon and Merlitti | Adam Van Ho
It may not be a direct conflict of interest (unless your incarceration could be of benefit to your step-father or if your step-father is a witness in your case), but if you do not feel comfortable with your attorney, then you should consider hiring a new attorney or, if your attorney is court-appointed, ask the judge for a new attorney. If you need to ask the court for a new attorney, you should be prepared to tell the judge the specifics of why you want a new attorney.