Is there a certain amount of time I need to wait to marry my recently divorced immigrant finance? 3 Answers as of January 21, 2015

I heard it's 6 months.

Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
For immigration application purposes, the validity of one's marriage is not based upon the amount of time that elapsed since one of the spouses divorced his/her prior spouse. As soon as a divorce becomes "final," the divorced spouse becomes free to re-marry and then sponsor or become sponsored in a marriage-based adjustment of status application. In some circumstances, the timing might lead to the USCIS adjudicating officer asking additional questions to assure that the new marriage is bona fide, but that usually is not problematic. It would be wise to engage an immigration attorney for this type of case. Some immigration law firms, including mine, offer legal services on a "flat fee" basis so that a client will know the total expense from the very beginning, and a few immigration law firms, including mine, offer an initial consultation free of charge.
Law Offices of Christine Green
Law Offices of Christine Green | Christine Green
No, there is no rule that says you have to wait a specific amount of time after the divorce to get married. However, depending on the facts of your case it may be prudent to wait. It is hard to know all the possible implications without knowing all the facts of the case. As such, I suggest you consult with an immigration attorney to discuss the facts of your case before proceeding.
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
No. As long as the divorce is finalized, you are good to remarry. Just consult with an experienced immigration lawyer because the timing of the wedding is very important.