Is there anyway to have my son's shoplifting charge dropped or at least removed from his record for school and employment purposes? 10 Answers as of March 03, 2014

My 18 year old son was caught shoplifting.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Yes, he needs to plead not guilty and get a lawyer. This person may be able to work out a deal where he ends up with no conviction for theft on his record.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/3/2014
Barton Barton & Plotkin
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
Sometimes a deal can be negotiated with the prosecutor. It is vital to retain legal counsel to handle this.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/28/2014
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Depends the quality of the attorney you retain.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 3/3/2014
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
We normally have the matter get diverted so no conviction.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 2/28/2014
Law Office of James E. Smith
Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
Get in the diversion program and get it dismissed and then you can seal his record.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 2/27/2014
    Ferguson & Ferguson
    Ferguson & Ferguson | Randy W. Ferguson
    Try to get youthful offender or pretrial diversion type class.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 2/27/2014
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
    Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted he can kiss his college/career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer for him before he gets duped into a plea you both will regret for life.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 2/28/2014
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    It is highly unlikely the charge will be dropped. You cannot expunge his record until he has completed all of the terms of his sentence. He will be on probation for one year. During this period a background check will show the charge, thus will impact his ability to get a job, a loan, or an apartment. If there is a diversion program have him take it.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 2/27/2014
    The Rogers Law Firm
    The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
    Yes, if you hire an experienced attorney to represent your son, the attorney can probably get the shoplifting charge dismissed or amended to a lesser offense, such as "Littering." If he has already been convicted, there is no way to expunge (remove) the record of the conviction. If that is the case and it hasn't been long since he pleaded guilty, and if he was not represented by an attorney when he pleaded, then you could hire a lawyer to withdraw his guilty plea and then get the charge dismissed or reduced.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 2/27/2014
    Austin Legal Services, PLC
    Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
    Has the case been adjudicated yet? If not, consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney in the area that regularly handles retail fraud or shoplifting cases. Many jurisdictions offer diversion programs for first time offenders that would keep it off his public record upon successful completion of the diversion program. There may be other sentencing options available to him as well due to his young age that would have the same impact. If the case has already been resolved, he may need to wait 5 years to apply for an expungement.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 2/27/2014
Click to View More Answers: