Is there anything that could be done about this other than filing a complaint and getting the owner/company fined? 7 Answers as of July 09, 2015

My wife, who is pregnant, works for a small company at an office building where the owner's father comes into the workplace and smokes in the owner's office. However, the smoke spreads out to the rest of the office building, and she is affected by it. The owner's father does not care. People have complained a little before, but when nothing is done, they do not act further because they don't want a bad reputation and/or lose their job. Specifically for my wife, they have moved her to a corner location next to the entrance door for better ventilation, but that is all. In the past, another employee who was pregnant and has given birth already, was moved to another area as well, but that was all that was done as well. Because of this, she has told the company that she wants to quit.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
Many municipalities have adopted ordinances regulating smoking in the work place. However, these ordinances typically allow for a designated smoking area for employees who smoke and this is what the owner's father might claim that he is doing. The ordinances also typically require that anyone who could be adversely affected by the second-hand smoke be accommodated in some way intended to avoid any serious health problems. This seems to be what is occurring with your wife. She might wish to speak with a representative at the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission in her area (P.H.R.C.) to see whether the employer has done what is minimally expected of him or whether she might have further options.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 7/9/2015
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
Not that I know of. Sorry. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 7/9/2015
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
Talk to an employment law attorney about your concern.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 7/8/2015
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
No, I think reporting the matter to the State Dept of Labor is about all you can do.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/8/2015
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
The owner of the company can do what ever e wants, as long as it does not violate the law. Check the workers compensation law. It is also possible to claim a "hostile work environment" due to the smoke.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 7/8/2015
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    The employee would not have much of a case unless she could prove identifiable injury from the smoke. I am assuming that smoking in this workplace is prohibited by law or regulation. She can register a complaint with a public authority (try Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development or the federal OSHA)to the effect that the employer is not enforcing the no-smoking rule, and that it is, at least, noxious and annoying and an apparent violation of the 'safe place' statute. Unfortunately, her boss won't like her any better for doing this.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 7/8/2015
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    I would need more details, however damages for exposure to secondhand smoke may be extremely hard to prove.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 7/8/2015
Click to View More Answers: