Is there anything I can do to stop someone from posting my article in the internet? 8 Answers as of April 20, 2015

Someone on the internet has posted an article that I wrote on various websites.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Sebby Law Office
Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
One send a cease and desist letter to the person who is posting your article. Two - contact the hosts of the web sites and insist that the article be removed immediately.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 4/20/2015
Mainspring Law | John D. Dellinger
It is possible for you to have the article taken down. You should talk to a copyright attorney who can help you out.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 4/14/2015
Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. | Ernie Linek
Maybe. Talk to a copyright lawyer about the matter. Can you prove that the article was actually written by you ? Did you publish it somewhere? You may be able to have it taken off the Internet under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act - DMCA. Check out your rights under the DMCA by searching that term and "take down notices". Good Luck!
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 4/14/2015
Microtechnology Law & Analysis | Daniel Flamm
If it is really *your* article (e.g. your creative writing), and you have not sold or otherwise granted any rights, you should own the copyright. Before you can enforce it, you must register the work with the US Copyright office. This can be done online. After it is registered you can enforce your copyright. Meanwhile, you may notify the website owners that you own the copyright to the article and that they are in violation. Once you have effectuated notice, they must take it down to avoid liability for the copyright violation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/13/2015
Webb IP Law Group
Webb IP Law Group | Jason P Webb
It depends on where they posted it. You can usually complain to the website that is hosting it and get them to take it down using the DMCA notice provisions that they have (if they have them set up).
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 4/13/2015
    Barton Barton & Plotkin
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    You can send "take-down" notices under the Digital Millennium Copyright Owners to the web-sites where the articles have been posted. While you can do this yourself, it would be wise to hire intellectual property/copyright litigation counsel to prepare and send these for you. You also can bring suit for copyright infringement against the person who has been posting your articles. If you do not know the identity of this person, your lawyer can use the legal process to issue subpoenas designed to determine the identity of this person. In short, you need to immediately retain intellectual property/copyright litigation counsel.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 4/13/2015
    Law Office of Kirk Buhler
    Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
    It would depend upon how you posted the article. In general, to identify that you want to retain ownership of your work you should include three things. 1) The (c), 2) Your name or the name of the person or company that claims ownership and 3) a date. You can find examples on books, or songs. If you just wrote the article without any identification of ownership then it would make it harder to prove you were the original author. You might want to contact each of the websites and tell them to take down the article. You can contact a location intellectual property law firm to obtain additional information.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/13/2015
    Michael M. Ahmadshahi
    Michael M. Ahmadshahi | Michael M. Ahmadshahi, Ph.D., Esq.
    You can inform the website owners and demand that they take down the article because you wrote it and therefore you own the copyright.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/13/2015
Click to View More Answers: