Is there anything I can do to keep my school and employer from finding out about my theft? 55 Answers as of July 08, 2013

I'm a 24-year-old pharmacy student that got caught shoplifting less than $100 worth of merchandise from a store. I signed some store papers admitting to the crime, got a citation from the police dept., and will be mailed a future court date. I know what I did was wrong and for the sake of being concise, I'll just say that I am extremely remorseful and will NEVER do it again. But what I am most concerned about is school and work. Is there anything I can do to keep this off my record and invisible to my school and future employers? What should I do now? Please help.

Askyour lawyer about a "civil compromise" where you get the store to agree to take some money and the charges get dropped.
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
You will have an opportunity to seal your record after three years. Until then, that information will be available as a public record.
Your school and your employer can find out about the criminal charges if they check unless you can get the record sealed.
Law office of Robert D. Scott | Robert Scott
Adult criminal records are public information. Any person, group or organization can run a criminal background check on you.
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
I'd recommend you retain a lawyer or request the court appoint you one at the public's expense. In Michigan, the maximum penalties for a retail fraud, third, usually charged in alleged theft cases for merchandise with a value under $200.00, is 93 days in jail, probation up to two years,a fine of not more than $500.00 or 3 times the value of the difference in price, property stolen, or money or property obtained or attempted to be obtained, whichever is greater, or both imprisonment and a fine. MCL 750.356d. Please note, however, that these are the maximum possible penalties. If the property is worth more, a person will be charged with a more severe offense punishable by even more jail time time, costs, restitution, or other sanctions. Judges in Michigan misdemeanor cases have a wide latitude with their sentences up to the maximum pursuant to the applicable statute. Policies and practices vary widely depending on the judge and county. An arraigning judge usually advises a defendant of their maximum possible penalties pursuant to the law. In certain situations, there may be diversionary programs which could keep a plea and conviction off a person's record. However, these diversionary programs often have strict eligibility requirements. Any potential misdemeanor charge is serious and I would recommend that you retain a lawyer.
    If you are charged with the theft, you should check to see if there is a diversion program you can do instead of being convicted.
    If you get Deferred Adjudication it can be non-disclosed. This is the best route and hope that no one discovers it in the interim.
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    If you are convicted you can have it expunged after you complete a probationary period.
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
    If you have no prior convictions, you should probably obtain an attorney to represent you in Court. It is possible that they might be able to get the prosecution to put you into a pre-trial intervention program. Basically you go to some classes, report to probation and once you complete the conditions of the program the state will announce a nolle prosse which means they will not prosecute. Once that Nolle Prosse is entered you can apply to have your record sealed and/or expunged.
    You probably have nothing to worry about. for you were not arrested, printed and had a mug shot taken. Many jurisdictions hav passed local ordinances prohibiting criminal conduct, but treating it as a petty offense. This sounds like your case. It is the equivilent of a parking or littering offense. To be sure this is your case, consult with an attorney and give him all the documentation you were given by the police. Worst case is probably some form of supervision, which will not result in a permanent record, but again, I doubt this is the case here.
    No and your employment contract might even require you to disclose any criminal convictions. Your failure to do so could be a basis for firing you.
    Depending on how the court and prosecutor handles these matters, your could plead not guilty at the arraignment and at pre-trial attempt to have the matter handled on a deferred sentence. You may wish to seek the assitance of an attorney in this matter.
    Law Offices of Fariba Bayani LLC | Fariba Bayani
    You need to make sure to negotiate with the Prosecutor to send you to a Pre-Trial (PTI) program and Dismiss your case after completion. It then, needs to be expunged off your record if you were arrested, which is not automatic or possible in every case. It is always a good idea to go to court with an attorney to make sure it is done correctly and completely to avoid future effects of it in your life.
    You should immediately hire an attorney to represent you. There are several options to keep something like you describe off your record. Whether or not it will be accepted by your judge/prosecutor, and which option is best for you is a matter of the facts in the case. In Michigan, there is MCL 771.1, which would provide for a deferred sentencing. Alternatively, a plea arrangement to a different offense is possible. Also, you may be eligible for expungement. This is to name a few of the options.
    Epstein & Conroy
    Epstein & Conroy | David B. Epstein
    There is nothing you can do, it is a public record. This can only change if and when the case is dismissed and sealed. For that to occur I suggest you hire counsel.
    Shane Law Office
    Shane Law Office | Robert J. Shane
    Yes, there is something you can do. I would advise you to retain an experienced criminal defense attorney. Since the dollar amount of the theft is low, you will need to have your lawyer negotiate a continuance for dismissal on your behalf. You will be required to pay restitution and to remain law abiding, but at the end of the continuance period, the case will be dismissed without a plea of guilty and no conviction will result. You will then be able to file a petition for expungement to seal the courthouse file, the arrest record, and any other information relating to the offense. This way no employer will ever learn of the offense and you will be able to become a licensed pharmacist.
    You might just be lucky and get offered an ACD. An ACD is where your case gets adjourned, usually for a year but sometimes less. If you don't get into trouble while the case remains open, then on the adjourned date the case is automatically dismissed. You usually get offered only one of these and very rarely a second.
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
    No.
    You need to hire a lawyer to try and beat the case, or have the charge reduced to a non-theft offense. If you plead guilty to the charge, the whole world will find out and there is no hiding it.
    While different counties handle such things slightly differently, most offer an ACOD or ACD on a first offender basis. That meansyour case will be adjourned (postponed) for six months or a year,depending upon the Judge, and if you haven't been arrested on anything new in that time, the case will be dismissed and the file will be sealed and expunged, meaning you'll have nothing but an arrest record and you'll be able to honestly answer you've never been convicted of any crime. Speak to a local criminal lawyer just to verify this is true in your county.
    Allen H. Siegal | Allen H. Siegal
    The impact of the decision in your case will depend on the outcome disposition of your case. You need strong representation when it comes to any immigration consequences. It is critical to have a lawyer who understands criminal law and immigration law. A full review of your particular issues is necessary before any specific advise can be given.
    Law Office of James S. Lochead
    Law Office of James S. Lochead | James S. Lochead
    Get a disposition with "Deferred Entry of Judgment" and a "Civil Compromise". The court can then hold some conditions over you for one or two years and if you complete the terms, the case will be dismissed with no conviction ever being entered. The Civil Compromise satisfies the court that the victim "has been made whole" and is satisfied.
    Robert Mortland
    Robert Mortland | Law Office of Robert Mortland
    You can attempt to negotiate the crime down to an infraction. However, this typically only happens if the goods are worth less than $50.
    Yes, I have been able to help other first offender have their shop lifting charges diverted. What happens is we agree to an alternative sentence and your charged never gets into the court system.
    I suggest that you contact and retain an attorney. The most important thing is to try and prevent a conviction. If you get convicted, then if asked on an employment application if you have ever been convicted, you will have to say "yes". Also, if you are still in school and getting any scholarship, grants, student loans or government grants or loans, you could be disqualified from all of these. Being charged (and possibly convicted) of theft does not bode well with future employers, especially in your field, as an employed could be concerned about future theft of monies from work, or worse, theft of medications. With the economy being what it is and so few jobs out there, a theft could be enough to disqualify you from future jobs. Hire an attorney who may be able to help you get some amicable resolution short of a conviction.
    If you fight the case, you may be able to enter into what is called a civil compromise with the store, get the charged dismissed, or reduced to an infraction.
    If it is your first offense, you may be eligible for a diversion program which would keep the matter off of your public record. Speak to a criminal attorney in your area about this and have him review the case file.
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC | Rankin Johnson IV
    It depends on what happens next, and that depends on the county and other factors outside of your control. But you may be able to avoid a conviction by doing community service or keeping your nose clean for a while, or you may be charged with a violation, which is no more serious than a traffic ticket. The court will appoint an attorney if you are charged with a crime and can't afford an attorney, or you could hire one now and talk to that person about your options. A mailed notice of a court date is not really enough to force you to go to court, so if the court informs you of the date by mail, you should talk to an attorney before going in to court.
    Law Office of Charles J. Block
    Law Office of Charles J. Block | Charles J. Block
    You should consult an attorney prior to going to Court because if you are convicted, you will have to wait 5-years form the end of probation/community service to expunge your record which means it is highly likely your employer will find out.
    DeVito & Visconti, PA
    DeVito & Visconti, PA | John E DeVito
    Theft from a store of less than $100 is usually treated as a shoplifting charge in Massachusetts. Shoplifting is punishable by a fine for a first and second offense. To prevent your school or your employer from learning about this theft it will be necessary to prevent an application for a criminal complaint for shoplifting from issuing. You would be advised to retain an attorney for this purpose. The attorney will know the procedure that needs to be followed to prevent a criminal complaint from issuing. It is imperative that the attorney be contacted immediately as the attorney will probably want to contact the police department before any application for a criminal complaint is filed. The police can approach this matter in one of two ways: they can apply for criminal complaint and request the clerk's hearing or they can apply for criminal complaint without a hearing. An attorney can assist you in receiving a hearing before a clerk magistrate. If the matter is resolved before the clerk magistrate, neither your school nor your employerare likely to find out about the theft.
    Rizio & Nelson
    Rizio & Nelson | John W. Bussman
    You may be eligible for some sort of diversion program (depending on the county where it happened) whereby you take some classes, pay some fines and stay out of trouble and the whole thing goes away that way. Since the value of the merchandise was more than $50, some counties will not allow diversion, but there may be other options for you. Ask your attorney about a "civil compromise".
    You need to retain an attorney to fight for you, to arrange a dismissal based on your lack of criminal record and school history.
    Law Office of Joe Dane
    Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
    You've got issues. No, unless you are found to be factually innocent and the judge orders your records sealed and destroyed, this will always exist at some level on your background. Whether it has to be disclosed depends on the reason you're asked about your record. With your professional license on the line, you have got to do anything in your power to avoid a conviction if at all possible. I'd strongly suggest sitting down with a local criminal defense attorney or two to discuss the situation. Make sure in your conversation you discuss licensing and the impact this case may have on it. You may want to also consult with an attorney that handles administrative/licensing issues to best prepare yourself for filling out your application and moving forward. This is crucial, as an incorrect answer and a failure to disclose something that is required to be disclosed can have a far worse effect than just disclosing in the first place.
    Hammerschmidt Broughton Law
    Hammerschmidt Broughton Law | Mark A. Broughton
    If this is your first offense there is a good chance that you will be offered what is called in most jurisdiction petty-theft diversion. In this procedure, you usually attend some classes, participate in some community service for a period of time - say 6 months or a year - and if you successfully complete it, the charges are dismissed without a conviction. There are other forms of this type of procedure. What you don't want is to plead to the charge first, to have it dismissed after judgment or conviction. That will result in a record of conviction whether or not it is dismissed later even though the practical result is the same. There is also a difference in terms of how you would answer the question: Have you ever been convicted of a crime (usually felony, but sometimes misdemeanor) on employment applications and the like. Regardless, the fact that you were charged/cited will be on your record. There is no way I know to have this removed, so to speak. We no longer have a true expungement in California. But, not everyone is privy to arrest records - only convictions.
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    No one knows about what happened in the store. It is what happens in court that counts. Do not go to court and plead guilty. Get a lawyer to help you deal with the charge so that you do not end up with a theft conviction.
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law | Mark Thiessen
    Once you get arrested, the charge and disposition of the case will always be public record unless you get the case dismissed and expunge it. Or satisfy deferred adjudication and seal it. But best advice is hire an attorney to get rid of it asap and then file for an expunction or petition for non-disclosure. Otherwise, there is nothing you can do to prevent others from seeing it.
    First the theft is not on your record until you are judged guilty of the charges. With your fact as stated, this should be filed as a misdemeanor. As a misdemeanor you could bargain for a deferred entry of judgment. If you get this you will be allowed to withdraw your plea and enter a not guilty plea and the case will be dismissed. You can only withdraw your plea after you have completed your probation requirements. If you cannot get a deferred entry of judgment then you can have the misdemeanor expunged. Either way it will not show on your record.
    Allan & Summary
    Allan & Summary | Justin Summary
    You need to hire an attorney to try and get the charge amended to something else or to get you the type of probation that does not appear as a conviction on your record. Keep in mind that you do not just want to appear on your court date and pay a fine, as a fine is considered a conviction.
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    The best thing to do is work out a dismissal and then petition to seal the citation. Usually you can get a dismissal by going into a diversion program by attending petty larceny school and paying a fine and/or community service.
    A theft offense can be very serious. A conviction would leave an indelible mark on your record and it can impact future employment and other opportunities. As a result, an aggressive defense is necessary. As a misdemeanor offense, a theft under $500 is punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a 41000 fine. Often. if you have a clean record and/or viable defenses, you may be able to avoid a conviction with a Stay of Prosecution which, upon completion of certain conditions, may result in a dismissal of the charge. Once the charge has been dismissed, you may file an action to expunge the record essentially sealing it from any public inquiry.
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    You should get an attorney working on your case. Given the right facts it may be possible to resolve your case without creating a criminal conviction record. If you plead guilty to the current charge, you will have a criminal conviction record and your school and employer will be able to find it. It is much better to attempt a good resolution now than try to clean up your record later.
    Assuming you are referring to a misdemeanor theft charge, you will probably be eligible for diversion. It is possible to resolve the case through a procedure called "Compromise of Misdemeanor." The way that works is you pay the business restitution in an amount that covers their loss plus any expenses associated with trying to recover the loss. If the company agrees they are satisfied and will sign a statement to that effect, the court will usually dismiss the case. It would be wise of you to hire an attorney. I would also strongly suggest you get some counseling because this incident reveals some impulse control issues. A person with a DEA number and access to legend drugs needs to have ultimate control of his decision making.
    Harden Law Offices
    Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
    Get a lawyer, the fact that you are in school may be enough to persuade police to place on file and have no conviction appear. Do not discuss with school or employer until case is over. The fact that you wrote an admission may be ok with turning things in your favor.
    Michael Edwards, Attorney at Law
    Michael Edwards, Attorney at Law | Michael Edwards
    You won't be able to keep it invisible in the short term, but given what you have said, asking the prosecuting attorney to offer you a plea in abeyance is probably your best case scenario. With a plea in abeyance, you plead guilty to the retail theft charge, but your conviction is not entered, so long as you successfully complete all of the terms of your probation. This will probably include a hefty plea in abeyance fee, a theft class and no further violations of law during the probationary period. There may be other terms as well. But the good news is that if you successfully complete all terms of the plea in abeyance, the court will dismiss the charge at the end of the probation. Then, 30 days after your charge is dismissed, you can apply for a certificate of eligibility for expungement from the Bureau of Criminal Identification, and proceed to get the charge expunged. This is about as close as you will be able to get to getting the case to "go away." As a practical matter, the FBI and other government entities will always know that you had this charge. But once the case is expunged, it will not be visible to normal employers, schools, etc. Of course, I recommend that you hire a good attorney to help you with this process, but I wish you good luck, either way.
    Law Office of Ronald Aronds, LLC
    Law Office of Ronald Aronds, LLC | Ronald Aronds
    Shoplifting is a violation of the New Jersey Criminal Code. If you are found guilty you will have a criminal record. Even if you are found not guilty at trial you will still have an arrest record, but if you win at trial you can immediately get your arrest record expunged. You should get a lawyer to help you, either private or a public defender.
    You should retain a good criminal attorney to try and have the case dismissed. If you get a theft conviction you will not become a professional or even get a decent job. You risked your entire future for a few dollars. You need to be a better decision maker. You are a thief and New York State does not allow thieves to become doctors, lawyers, or pharmacists. If you get a good lawyer to beat this case you might get a second chance, I hope you will learn from this huge mistake.
    Betts Legal Services
    Betts Legal Services | Shawn M. Betts
    You may qualify for a diversion program or some other type of resolution that will keep the conviction off your record. You should consider retaining an attorney to ensure that happens.
    Matthew Cameron Attorney at Law
    Matthew Cameron Attorney at Law | Matt Cameron
    It is possible under these circumstances that you could request that the prosecution agree to dismiss this charge outright with a small fine, and this would be my first approach if it were my case. It is more likely, however, that the Commonwealth will offer to agree to a "continuance without a finding" (CWOF). Under the terms of such an agreement, you would admit that there was enough evidence against you for a guilty finding without actually sustaining a guilty on your record. You would then accept a short period of probation and be eligible to have the case dismissed entirely if you do not have any further issues with the law. The major benefit of a CWOF is that you would be able to legally and truthfully state for all future Massachusetts purposes that you have never been convicted of a crime, and most employers (other than law enforcement and institutions which serve children and/or the elderly) would not be able to see any record of this incident in the course of a normal criminal background check. (Federal background checks may present additional issues. I should also note that even a CWOF on a shoplifting charge may cause serious problems for your immigration status, so be sure to consult with an attorney before proceeding on this case if you are not a citizen of the United States.)
    AyerHoffman, LLP
    AyerHoffman, LLP | David C. Ayer
    You should consult with a criminal defense attorney. Given the nature of the crime and assuming you have no record of other offenses, it is likely that you can be sentenced to some form of probation. In Massachusetts there are two forms of probation which would be appropriate for your situation: pre-trial probation, which will not show up on your record at all if successfully completed, and a continuance without a finding (CWOF), which will appear only as an event having taken place, but with no details. As well, your offense should be a misdemeanor. Employers and schools generally look for more serious crimes classified as misdemeanors. Retain counsel for your court date and all should work out in the end.
    Hermiz Law | Madana Hermiz
    Let's start at the top. The school will usually find out in either 1 of 2 ways: (1) if you tell them, or (2) if you're formally convicted of that crime (theft). In the case of #2 occurring, you are probably obligated to notify your school of the crime. Your best bet at this point is to retain an attorney which may be able to plead the charge down to a lesser offense which won't look as bad as a theft charge. You may really want to consider that option since this charge will undoubtedly haunt you when you try to get licensed as a practitioner.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    If you work the case out in a way so that the charges are completely dismissed then after the dismissal you can petition to seal the records which will remove them from being public so an employer would no longer be able to find them. Some ways charges can be dismissed, besides a dismissal at the time you go to court, include a 'deferred judgment and sentence where you plead guilty and after you do certain things the guilty plea is withdrawn and charges are dismissed - you can then petition to seal the records. There is something similar called a deferred prosecution which is the same except you don't need to plead guilty. Under either scenario if you don't comply with the conditions of the deferral , the charge could remain on your record. Hiring a lawyer who knows how all this works and can advise you is the best way to achieve this result.
    Connell-Savela
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    You need to speak with DA to try to get a deferred prosecution - offer to do extra community service or pay a charitable contribution.
    Law Office of Michael R. Garber
    Law Office of Michael R. Garber | Michael R. Garber
    You need to make a deal with the prosecutor to keep from being prosecuted.
    Gonzalez Law Associates P.C.
    Gonzalez Law Associates P.C. | Carlos Gonzalez
    Hire an attorney to try and get it dismissed or an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal. There would be no record of it and all records by law would have to be expunged/destroyed.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney