Is there anything I can do to get out of my lease? 5 Answers as of December 23, 2013

My roommate moved his girlfriend into our apartment. She has been there for about two months. She doesn't pay rent or helps with any of the bills. Her name isn't even on the lease and the only way for her to be on the lease is my roommate and I have to go sign her name on it together. The lease also clearly states that no one can be living in the apartment without being on the lease. This has lead me to move out of the apartment before the intended lease is up in March. I talked to the landlord and she said there is nothing I can do about it but I don't think that is right. Is there anything that I can do to get out of the lease or anything I can do at all?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
Sue your roommate for violating the lease.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 12/23/2013
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
You could have filed an eviction action against the girl friend. But no, you are obligated on the lease until it runs out. Give your notice of termination now though so it cannot be renewed in your name.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 12/23/2013
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
Your problem with your roommate is not your landlord's problem. You are liable to the landlord. Your roommate may be liable to you ("contribution").
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 12/23/2013
Law Office of Richard Winkler | Richard Winkler
You should not have moved out. You had every right to be there and to refuse to allow your roommate to allow anyone else to move in without your permission. Move back in and tell your roommate that the girlfriend has to go.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 12/23/2013
Patrick W. Currin, Attorney at Law | Patrick Currin
This is an issue for your landlord, not for you. It is a sublease or an additional non-named tenant. I would not advise moving out without a written understanding from both your roommate and your landlord that you can live with.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/23/2013
Click to View More Answers: