Is there is anything I can do now to stop the garnishment until after they sell the vehicle? 9 Answers as of August 19, 2016

I bought a car a few years ago, and payed my bill on time. A few months ago, money got tight and I was unable to pay the bill. I contacted the lender and told them to come pick up the car, but they refused, stating that it would basically be a hassle on their part. They bugged me and bugged me to make a payment, and eventually put in an order to garnish my check. My normal payment was $263 but they are garnishing my check for over $600 a month. I still have the car. Finally, after contacting them a thousand times and sending them the keys, they picked up the vehicle.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
A creditor (except the government) can't garnish your wages until they have a judgment against you. Once they have a judgment, there are only two ways to stop a garnishment.One, work out a deal with the creditor to take a payment instead of garnishing your wages - usually this would involve making a lump sum payment. Two, file bankruptcy. Bankruptcy stops all garnishments.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 8/19/2016
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
I'm not sure which state you are in. It sounds like they have a judgement and in some states that negates the security interest in the vehicle. You better see a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/17/2016
Robert Louque | Robert Louque
I am unsure of what happened to allow them to garnish your paycheck. Did you get sued and they obtained a judgment? The only way to stop a garnishment is to get the creditor to agree or to file bankruptcy. The garnishment will continue until the debt is paid off until one of those things occur.
Answer Applies to: Louisiana
Replied: 8/17/2016
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
If they have a judgment, they can continue to garnish, until the debt is paid in full, unless you work out an agreement with them. If they are garnishing in some other fashion, it would depend on how they are garnishing. A bankruptcy also stops a garnishment.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/17/2016
Law Office of Michael Johnson
Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
Yes, a Bankruptcy can stop the garnishment.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/17/2016
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law | Christiaan van Niekerk
    Sounds like the only way to get rid of them now is to file a bankruptcy proceeding.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 8/17/2016
    A Fresh Start
    A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
    The fact that your wages are being garnished indicated that you were sued and that there is a court judgment against you. Probably this judgment has been around for awhile, and if it has existed for more than 6 months, there is little or nothing you can do in court about it. May be worth considering settling this debt for a lump sum of cash or if the amount of this debt and your other debts is large, looking to bankruptcy for help.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 8/17/2016
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C. | Stuart M. Nachbar
    If you have other debt, think about bankruptcy which stop it.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 8/17/2016
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    Without your taking additional steps, the creditor can keep up the garnishment, but nothing forces them to do so. You could call up their collections people and ask them to hold off. A bankruptcy stops the garnishment in its tracks and will usually discharge their claim, and almost all other debts. You might want to consider that step if you have a number of troublesome debts. (BTW, they could not get a garnishment unless they had already sued you first. Did they serve a complaint on you? Did you have an opportunity to respond? If they never served you, you could move to reopen the case.)
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 8/17/2016
Click to View More Answers: