Is there anything I can do if my pharmacy did not give me the correct amount of medication that is prescribed to me? 6 Answers as of August 10, 2012

My pharmacy only gave me 27 out of the 60 pills that were prescribed for me. The bottle they gave me cannot even hold 35 capsules, much less 60. They say they are right because the count is right. If someone kept them or misplaced them, but they were logged in as gone, then the count would be correct. They will give me no explanation for this or even try to explain giving me a bottle too small to hold the prescribed amount. I understand there are people out there who will do anything for drugs, but I have gone here for over 15 years. The pharmacy, their customer service, the district manager and the Medicaid fraud line all tell me to make a police report but the police say since I cannot prove a crime was committed and they won’t even listen to me. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Austin Hirschhorn, P.C.
Austin Hirschhorn, P.C. | Austin Hirschhorn
I suggest you contact the Board of Pharmacy which is part of the Michigan Dept. of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs and file a complaint with them. The Board is located at 611 W. Ottawa, PO Box 30670, Lansing, MI.
Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
I don't think there is anything you can do.
Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
First, despite a long history with this pharmacy, I would be changing pharmacies. You may wish to start by making a formal written complaint to the home office of the pharmacy involved. If paid by Medicaid, a complaint to Medicaid would be appropriate also. Make sure you keep all containers and any other evidence to show you were shorted in your medication.
Law Offices of Maryanne Spryszak-Hanna PC | Maryanne Spryszak-Hanna
You should complain to the manager. Then complain to the regional office of that store. Next time, insist on conting the pills personally when you pick them up. If there is a descrepancy, you should not pick up the prescription until it is rectified.
Clos, Russell & Wirth, P.C. | Gary A. Russell
If your local police will not assist you, you might try the county sheriff and/or the Michigan State Police. Also you may want to contact the State Attorney General's office, not to mention the State of Michigan department responsible for monitoring pharmacies.
    Satch Ejike, PhD, LL.M. | Satch Ejike
    Your complaint goes to quantity, not quality or suitability. If you did not suffer damage, you might have little claim against the pharmacy. I don't know what you mean by "if someone kept them or misplaced them, but they were logged in as gone, then the count would be correct."