Is there anything I can do if I was injured at work and was not allowed to leave for treatment? 6 Answers as of October 31, 2012

I was injured at work a little over a year ago. My hand got caught in a closing door and a finger was crushed. I needed six stitches and have a scar. I was not allowed to leave work to seek medical treatment for several hours. I had to continue with my job. I was a closing manager and no one would come in to relieve me, even though another manager was present in the store [off duty] who refused to cover for me while in pain and bleeding, only able to go to the doctor after the store was closed. I was afraid I would lose my job if I closed early. I was made to come back less than eight hours later (while on medication that I should not have been driving with) to open the store for another manager. After this, I was mocked by my supervisors for failing to prevent the injury. I never did anything because I was afraid to lose my job. Now a year later, I am quitting because the environment has become unbearable, in part due to my lack of confidence and trust in my employer due to this situation and depression about my job situation and how I was treated. I am wondering if I have any recourse against them for the way I was treated.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
You are entitled to file a workers comp claim for your injury, however since it has been year, it is probably too late. You need to contact your HR Dept at your company and discuss your problem with them.
Answer Applies to: Mississippi
Replied: 10/31/2012
Darrell B. Reynolds, P.C. | Darrell B. Reynolds
If you are in Georgia, the injury should have been covered under workers compensation. However, you may at this point have statue of limitation problems.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 10/31/2012
Steven Miller | Steven Miller
This is a question to present yo a workers compensation specialist. He or she would have knowledge in this topic.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/31/2012
Behren Law Firm
Behren Law Firm | Scott Behren
You might have had a workers compensation claim and you might want to speak with a workers compensation lawyer. You may also have a claim for workers compensation retaliation.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 10/31/2012
E. Ray Critchett, LLC
E. Ray Critchett, LLC | Ray Critchett
I do not have enough information to determine whether or not you may have a "hostile work environment" claim; however, you may be able to pursue a workers' compensation claim for your injury.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 10/30/2012
    Your sole remedy would have been to file a workers compensation claim. WC law shields employers from such suits. It may not be too late to pursue the compensation claim. If you quit now, based on what you said, you likely will not be eligible for unemployment compensation. You may want to find a new job before you quit.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 10/30/2012
Click to View More Answers: