Is there anything I can do if I cannot get another job because of my limitations after the injury? 23 Answers as of March 05, 2014

I was injured while employed. I was terminated and I am on limited work by my doctor. I have a spinal injury that will require surgery.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
If it is work related, then you can apply for workers compensation. If not, and you are unable to work, apply for Social Security Disability.
Answer Applies to: Mississippi
Replied: 3/5/2014
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Talk to a workers comp lawyer and consider filing for social security.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/4/2014
Behren Law Firm
Behren Law Firm | Scott Behren
You may need a workers compensation lawyer as well as someone to help you with a wrongful discharge case.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 3/3/2014
Lombardi Law Firm
Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
Yes you can file a workers' compensation claim and seek an appropriate award for industrial disability. You will probably require a functional capacity evaluation (FCE), an independent medical examination (IME) and a vocational assessment to fully develop the evidence to prove your case. Every year we arrange for many of these types of expert evaluations along with the expert reports to prove our clients' cases. These are important cases that have a lot of value for our clients and so long as they are handled properly provide reasonable compensation to the injury worker, such as yourself.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
Replied: 2/28/2014
You need to file a claim for worker's compensation benefits that cover temporary disability benefits , ongoing medical treatment and a settlement for permanent disability and future medical care.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/27/2014
    You should speak with an attorney that handles Social Security Disability cases, also known as SSI. I suggest you start with that firm that advertise on TV.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 2/27/2014
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    You need a worker compensation lawyer to review your situation. If you cant work because of your injury your doctor should give you some disability rating your settlement will be based on such a rating. No one can or will guarantee you a job.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 2/26/2014
    Law Offices of Richard Baker | Richard Baker
    Yes, you should seek workers compensation benefits for permanent and total disability, which will pay until your Social Security Retirement benefits become due, plus lifetime medical. You may also seek social security disability benefits, and any private disability insurance you may have.
    Answer Applies to: Tennessee
    Replied: 2/26/2014
    Fendon Law Firm | Matt C Fendon
    You should be eligible for temporary disability benefits if you are on a no work or light duty status from your doctor and were terminated by your employer, as long as your termination was not for cause unrelated to the industrial injury. You would obtain these benefits from the worker's compensation carrier handling your case.
    Answer Applies to: Arizona
    Replied: 2/26/2014
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    File for Social Security Disability.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 2/26/2014
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    If your Dr. has you off work or on limited work and you no longer work at the employer, they owe you comp until you reach maximum medical improvement in your condition. If you limitations are permanent, they will owe you for permanent disability benefits. If it looks like your restrictions are going to be permanent (ask your Dr.), you probably should consult an experienced compensation lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 2/26/2014
    Law Offices of Linda Rose Fessler | Linda Fessler
    You should be getting a settlement from your employer through Workman's Compensation.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 2/26/2014
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    File a worker's comp claim.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 2/27/2014
    Ty Wilson Law
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    You need to reach out to a Georgia workers' compensation attorney, immediately, you may have continued benefits you may be entitled too. Workers' compensation is a deceivingly complicated system, seek out help now so you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 2/26/2014
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S.
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S. | Wayne J. Wimer
    If injured on the job, you should be covered by workmen's compensation, and that system will pay for your wage losses, will pay for your medical expenses, and will pay for your rehabilitation, and will pay you for any permanent disability. If your employer did not have workmen's compensation coverage, then he, she, or it is liable to you just as though they carried workmen's compensation coverage on you. Check that out immediately, and file a claim immediately or it will be too late to file under the system. You could still sue your employer if he didn't have workmen's compensation coverage for you.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 2/26/2014
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Hire an attorney, you may have a worker's comp claim.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 2/27/2014
    Lewis B. Kaplan | Lewis B. Kaplan
    In my opinion there is likely something you can do. The first thing is to actually meet with a lawyer and discuss the details.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 2/27/2014
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney