Is there anything I can do due to ensure she follows this verbal agreement? 7 Answers as of December 13, 2013

My ex-wife and I had a verbal agreement on our dogs. Since I’m active duty military and gone a lot during the year, we agreed she would keep them until my unit shuts down for the winter due to the river freezing. She is now refusing to let me take them. These are pure bred German Boxers that were a combined $2,000.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
Is it in the divorce decree? If so, then yes there is something you can do. You can file a motion for contempt. If it is not in the divorce decree, then your agreement is worth the paper it is written on.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 12/13/2013
Attorney at Law
Attorney at Law | Frances An
You will have to file a motion with the court. A verbal agreement is worth the paper it is printed on. They are community property, and you have rights concerning them.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/12/2013
John Russo | John Russo
You obtained a divorce which means something was off between the party's, and then you entrust that same person that you divorced with valuables that you did not document, except with an alleged handshake. You need to obtain all relevant info relating to your purchase of these canines, and then contact the police to meet you at her home asking for the dogs, she will refuse the police will stand there looking kind of dumb, (which is a whole other subject), at that point you obtain the police report file an action in court for the return of your property and also seeking monetary damages, you will have to also have to have credible folks to testify that the animals were your property, (she will have hers also) you will also have to have the police officer their if the court rules heresy on the police report, you can win with all the correct evidence, but your biggest lesson learned here is that, Always write it down and have both party's sign, even with your Mother.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 12/12/2013
Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC
Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC | Tricia Dwyer, Esq.
You presumably would have legal recourse. Agreements are sometimes made in writing and other times are made orally. Do confer with an attorney and she/he will be happy to assist and advise you.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 12/12/2013
Glenn Milgraum PC
Glenn Milgraum PC | Glenn P. Milgraum
NJ and NY both consider dogs to be chattel and worth no more than the value of the animal and refuse to enforce "visitation" agreements. However, this week a NY County Judge (Judge Cooper), has ruled that a hearing can be had to determine the circumstances surrounding the possession of the dogs and what would be best for "all concerned" with regard to the possession of the animals.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 12/12/2013
Click to View More Answers: