Is there anything else I should do if the police refused to take accident report? 7 Answers as of May 08, 2014

I was struck by another driver today. The at-fault driver was very gracious and we exchanged information, took pictures, etc. We called the police but when they showed up we’re told that they would not take a police report, with no reason given. The officer told us to file a state accident report ourselves and then left. My husband dealt with the officer as I was busy trying to keep our toddler from screaming and the officer did not even tell my husband that his license could be suspended if he didn't file that report, which I know will happen from the last accident I was in. Though I don't suspect the other driver will try to lie, I'm still very concerned that there is no official, impartial record of the incident. Are my concerns warranted?

Go into the police station and file the report. It is important.
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
Some municipalities require that you go down to the station for a minor "fender bender." There is no police department that can "refuse" to make a report.
The police are only interested if there is a crime that they can prove. They don?t normally take an accident report unless there are serious injuries.
You are probably overreacting. Police often don't make regular reports when the damage is very minor, when private property is involved. They don't like to do the job of insurance adjusters. I am not aware that any police refuse to do a report and then tell you to report it to the state. I don't believe that. just report it to your carrier and let them worry about it make your claim to the other carrier. Sounds like a very small matter to begin with.
WEISSMAN LAW FIRM
WEISSMAN LAW FIRM | I.Donald Weissman
Whether there is a report or not one cannot control the other person's statements. Police do not make reports unless there is demonstrable injury at the scene, an ambulance/paramedics are called or because of physical damage, traffic control is required. The fact a report was not taken has no bearing on the ultimate facts of the case.
    Matthew D Kaplan LLC
    Matthew D Kaplan LLC | Matthew D Kaplan
    The police will rarely write a report if there was no ambulance called. There is nothing you can do. The officer if available as a witness if necessary.
    It sounds like you need to file the report like the officer suggested. My guess is the accident happened on private property and that is why the officer couldn't file a report. Be sure to report to your insurance companies too.