Is there anyone willing to take a pro bono criminal case for my son? 14 Answers as of June 26, 2013

I am a mother who does not have thousands of dollars to pay for a good criminal defense attorney for my son who has been wrongly accused, and has proof he is innocent in a somewhat high profile case. I would be happy to talk to someone willing to take his case. I am getting very desperate as I have already gone through a lot of different avenues to find an attorney. I am asking for help please!

Miller & Harrison, LLC
Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
Contact the local public defender to apply for free representation. Otherwise, use various services like Law QA and call lawyers and see if they will represent you for the money you have to spend. It might take many calls but you likely will eventually find someone.
We work for reasonable rate and do payment plans.
R. Jason de Groot, P.A
R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
The pro boon criminal attorney is the public defender. However, the American civil liberties Union might be willing to take the case if he qualifies.
Law Office of James A Schoenberger
Law Office of James A Schoenberger | James A Schoenberger
You need to disclose where your son's case is pending. Washington is a big state and if you are asking for a pro bono attorney, you will likely need to seek local attorneys.
No experienced criminal defense attorney will get involved in your case. Inexperienced, maybe. Real estate attorney looking for press, maybe. The good criminal defense attorney does not have time for freebies. First, they have paying clients they need to attend to. Second, no pro boon client ever appreciates your efforts. After a few motions and court dates, you will always hear the familiar complaint "You get what you pay for." However, you should continue to bang your head against the wall.
    Havens Law, LLC
    Havens Law, LLC | William Havens Nebeker
    I take cases at a reduced rate, I have not found an attorney that can match my rates. However, if the charge against your son is a felony he is entitled to representation and counsel will be appointed for him in the event he cannot afford it. I also set up affordable payment plans for my clients so that they can get representation without getting financially buried. Call or email to know your son's options moving forward.
    Mary W Craig P.C. | Mary W Craig
    If your son cannot afford an attorney, he should ask for a court-appointed one. Many very good lawyers take court appointments because they believe they should give back to the legal community. Just because a lawyer is a public defender or is court-appointed does not mean he is a bad lawyer. Under the law, your son is entitled to a lawyer if he cannot afford one.
    Amber Lunsford, Attorney at Law | Amber Lunsford
    If your son cannot afford an attorney, the public defender will be appointed on his case. Most public defenders are very good lawyers with a true commitment to criminal defense. They may not have as much time to explain the process, but for the most part, they are quite effective in court. These attorneys deal with the judges that they appear before and the DA's in their courtroom on a regular basis and know what the quirks and customs of any given courtroom are.
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
    Call the Nevada State bar Pro Bono Project or use a public defender.
    Law Office of John Schum, LLC
    Law Office of John Schum, LLC | John Schum
    I have already taken on a high profile murder case pro bono. That is roughly $50,000 that I am forgoing. I am very reasonably priced and can do a payment plan or credit to fund the case. I am not sure exactly what your son is charged with and that will usually determine the price. It can range from $15,000 and up. I would be willing to discuss this with you.
    Answer Applies to: Hawaii
    Meyer & Kiss, LLC
    Meyer & Kiss, LLC | Louis J. Meyer
    Where is his case?
    If he can't afford a lawyer they will appoint one for him. These are lawyers just like the ones that you pay for. Same education, training and license.
    Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
    You must be able to pay costs of the attorney's expenses I would think and some retainer.
    The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
    There are not very many lawyers who take pro bono cases but you are probably eligible for a public defender. They can be very experienced lawyers, but they will not take calls or see their clients in jail. They will talk to them in court and they may not be the best choice for serious cases. Any felony that is going to trial will require 50-100 hours of work at $300 and hour which will mean at least $6,000-$15,000 for most lawyers to try a felony case. A plea might be $1,500-$3,000 for a felony. If he is innocent and you have the evidence a public defender should be able to win the case.