Is there any way we can ask the court to disperse the money before age 18? 4 Answers as of March 24, 2015

My daughter was bitten by a dog when she was 4 years old and awarded a settlement. I asked the court to place it in a trust fund through All State until she was 18 and 19. She is now 17, and we want to move back to California and buy a home.

You can petition the court that set up the trust but since the money was set aside for her use only, why should the court release any of it for your being able to buy a house? While she remains a minor, you have to provide shelter for her so you can not require her to pay for a living space. No bank would give her a loan so I doubt you can successfully argue she would own part of the house. If she is like most teenage girls, as soon as she turns 18 she will want to move out of your home.
Moving out of state is probably not a good reason to ask for release of the money, but it would be up to the judge.
James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
You can ask the court but moving is not a good reason for the court to consider disbursement prior to 18.
Law Offices of Robert Burns
Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
Your daughter is not seeking to buy an home. You are seeking to buy an home with your daughter making a contribution. The Court should resist your request unless, maybe, the Court finds that you are offering a great investment opportunity to your daughter.