Is there any way to get the DMV to consider the time I already was restricted and not add the extra time and fee? 5 Answers as of April 14, 2014

I was arrested for a DUI. I had a separate hearing with the DMV which suspended my license for 6 months. When my court case was finally resolved, I had already finished my DUI classes required for a restricted license. Now they have added 5 more months to the restriction and are charging another fee. It's because of the timing of the court resolution which isn't fair because I have already served my 6 months suspension the DMV gave me.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
It is all fair, because driving is a privilege, NOT a right. You committed the DUI. You wrote you were arrested for a DUI. You never wrote you were convicted. Even better, you never wrote that you committed the DUI. In reality, YOU COMMITTED THE DUI, and put everyone else on the road that day in danger. Was that fair to the two year old, the 22 year old or the 72 year old, none of whom had anything to do with your drinking. Those are the folks the DMV are concerned with not you. You did not think about those people, so the DMV is not overly concerned with you.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/14/2014
Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC
Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC | Thomas A. Medford, Jr.
Court sentences and DMV suspensions are separate and one does not have to consider what the others have done. You should consider consulting an attorney who is skilled in representing people in DMV Hearings.
Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
Replied: 4/10/2014
Hudson Bair | Hudson Bair
The fee is $70, the extra suspension can be turned into a restricted license upon payment of the fee (assuming you have already filed an SR-22 and enrolled in the DUI class). If you didn't hire an attorney that's about all you can expect.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/10/2014
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
You'll have to see an attorney with the details, but generally if the suspension resulting from the DUI is not the same as an additional suspension if you refused the chemical test.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/9/2014
Law Office of Edward J. Blum
Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
No. You get time for actual suspension, not for restriction.  
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/9/2014
Click to View More Answers:

Need more information on drunk driving law? Visit our free DUI resource page to learn more.

If you need immediate assistance, fill out a free case evaluation form to connect with a DUI lawyer in your area today!