Is there any way to expidite a California divorce due to military service member going on deployment? 4 Answers as of March 18, 2011

My husband and I have been separated for coming up on 6 years. You can say we are better friends than we are a married couple. We have two young children between us and have already made custody arrangements, financial arrangements, and visitation arrangements. He has come upon the issue that his girlfriend won't in until he's divorced. I recently received last minute orders for a deployment concerning the recent natural disasters and would like to get the divorce finalized before I leave on deployment. Because I am stationed in Virginia, it would be hard to get out to California, but if there's anyway it could help get divorced sooner I will be able to make time!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Joseph A. Katz
Law Office of Joseph A. Katz | Joseph A. Katz
Unfortunately, there is no way to finalize a divorce in California prior to six months. That is the minimum waiting period prior to a married couple being able to regain their single status, per the California Family Code.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/18/2011
Law Office of L. Paul Zahn
Law Office of L. Paul Zahn | Paul Zahn
I can help you and your husband with this matter. While the divorce itself cannot be "finalized" sooner than six months and one day from the date the Respondent is served (and by finalized, I mean that you each are returned to the status of single), all the paperwork can be done ahead of time and filed and the termination date will just be a future date. Please contact me for a free consultation for assistance.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/17/2011
Pisarra and Grist
Pisarra and Grist | David T. Pisarra
The process takes six months. However, I have prepared entire judgement packages and submitted them in a week so that at the earliest available date the judgement goes through. If you call my office we can assist you.

We provide a 10% discount to active military and you would qualify.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/17/2011
Michael Apicella
Michael Apicella | Apicella Law and Mediation
If you and your spouse are in agreement on all issues, then you don't have to wait around to finalize your divorce. Rather, simply fill out and file all final paperwork, and attach your agreement (e.g., stipulated judgment or Marital Settlement Agreement). On the judgment form, you can put the date of dissolution as 6 months and a day from the date the "respondent" was served with the dissolution petition.

Once all the final paperwork is filed with the court, your case is essentially finished. The court will enter judgment on the date indicated (6 months + 1 day from date of service). Call if you need more help finalizing your divorce.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/17/2011
Click to View More Answers: