Is there any way of getting out of paying a student loan off as a parent since it was forged by my child other than having them arrested for forgery? 8 Answers as of April 04, 2014

SmithMarco, P.C.
SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
I have been successful in doing this once. However, you do have to come out and tell them your child did it and risk the consequences. However, I have never heard of anyone getting arrested for it.
File suit against the student loan provider for a judicial determination that you do not owe the debt.
Your between the rock and a hard place, obviously if you maintain that your signature is guarantor was forged then the party who forged it has potential civil and criminal liabilities.
Not likely, that is a slippery slope if you go down that road
Coulter's Law
Coulter's Law | Coulter K. Richardson
Yes, refuse to pay it. When they come chasing after it, defend yourself. Remember, it is not what happened that matters, it is what you can prove happened that matters. So be prepared to hire a handwriting expert to express an opinion in court that the handwriting could not be yours. Also, dig up your calendar/datebook/emails etc. to prove you were somewhere else or doing something else and could not have been present to sign the loan agreement. Any contemporaneous correspondence with your child expressing your displeasure with him/her for forging your name. You should hire an attorney. It may be costly, but it will be less expensive than paying full freight on the loan.