Is there any way I can send these back because they weren't properly served? 2 Answers as of September 05, 2017

I was just served a coworkers papers. I told the process server that I didn't want to be responsible for them and that he would need to come back next week. The process server told me that I had to and that he would use my description to say he left them with me. My coworker really is out of town for a week and I have no way of getting them to him. What is my obligation here? It seems unfair to get me involved when I was completely honest.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
Write the attorney for the party who served you, copy to your co-worker, and tell them what you told the process server, namely that the co-worker would be out of town for a week, you are not authorized to accept service of process for anyone, it is not reasonable to expect that you would transmit the papers to the co-worker. ?Add what the process server told you and that you are upset he would make such false statements to you. Unless you are the secretary for the company, serving you is not reasonable substituted service and you have no responsibility to be involved.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/5/2017
Patrick W. Currin, Attorney at Law | Patrick Currin
Yes, get coworker the papers.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/4/2017
Click to View More Answers: