Is there any way I can change my daughter’s last name without consent of her father? 1 Answers as of September 06, 2016

My daughter is 5 years old and after 4 years of her seeing her father mentally abuse me she witnessed him arrested after putting his hands on me. I currently have a three year restraining order against him and I keep my daughter away from him. She has his last name and it is a constant reminder to both me and her of everything we have been through. Is there any way I can change her name to mine without getting him involved? I know if I have to get him involved then he's going to drag it out and fight me. I don't think I can handle that. I am constantly looking over my shoulder and have nightmares about him coming after me I don't want to make it worse. I just want to move on with my life and leave the past behind me.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
John Russo | John Russo
No, you need to give him legal notice.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 9/6/2016
Click to View More Answers: