Is there any way I can cash/deposit my mother’s refund checks from IRS? 4 Answers as of March 06, 2015

My mother passed away last month and then I got 2 refund checks from the IRS. I am her next of kin. The bank wouldn't deposit the checks with a deposit only endorsement. I don't think the IRS would write them to me in my name if I returned them.

LAW OFFICE OF ROBERT I LONG
LAW OFFICE OF ROBERT I LONG | Robert I. Long
Assuming your mother died in California and her probatable estate is less than $150,000, the IRS may accept a declaration under Probate Code 13101. You may need an attorney to put one together that meets the statutory requirements, but a seasoned estate attorney should not charge more than about an hour-and-a-half for his time.
James Law Group
James Law Group | Christine James
Complete a Small Estate Affidavit under probate code section 13100 and take it to the bank with a Certified Copy of the Death Certificate.
Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons
Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons | Patrica A Simmons
The IRS may require that you open an estate for your mother so that the checks may be re-issued. If your mother does not have assets with a value of $150,000.00 or more, this might not be cost effective for you to do. Opening an estate is a court process that requires you to file a petition for probate to obtain Letters of Administration. Once you have your Letters you would contact the IRS to explain the situation. However, this process may be more costly than the total value of the checks.
Try to run them through you ATM.