Is there any requirement to notify USCIS that our marriage has ended? 1 Answers as of June 08, 2011

My wife left me after getting her green card and says she just wants to stay and work here now, she understands that she will not be able to get the restrictions lifted since we are no longer a couple however I just wanted to make sure that this will not cause me any legal trouble for her to remain and work for the remainder of the 2 year period granted. Is there any requirement to notify USCIS that our marriage has ended and that we are separated? What are my responsibilities and risks with this situation since I want see her stay if possible.

The Jarrett Firm, LLC
The Jarrett Firm, LLC | Patrick Jarrett
Your wife can remain and work. She also can apply for a waiver of the joint filing requirement at the within 90 days of her conditional residence card expiration date. She will need to show that the marriage was entered in good faith. If she wishes to obtain her green card, she should speak with an attorney. As for you, you do not have any obligation to notify of the divorce.