Is there any law limiting how long it can take for a payout to be given? 9 Answers as of June 20, 2013

My mother passed away on December 7, 2011 and she had a small amount of money invested with a securities company. She had it set up as "payable on death" and we have submitted the death certificate and a letter outlining how we would like the payout (there are 5 beneficiaries). We're wondering how long it will take to process the payouts and if there are any laws limiting the time the securities firm has to pay the monies out to us.

Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
I'm not aware of any hard deadline.
Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
They have a reasonable period of time. It can take months and all of the necessary paperwork must be submitted before the application for transfer is considered complete.
No one who has not seen the specific paperwork can answer.
Hello, generally, 30 days would be reasonable by most standards, but it may vary depending upon what type of security and whether it must go through Probate or not. It doesn't sound like it would haveto go through Probate based upon the limited information you offered, but it may be depending upon how it was structured and whose name or names it was in at the time of death. It would probably be best to speak to an estate attorney about it. Good luck.
The Law Offices of Laurie E. Ohall, P.A.
The Law Offices of Laurie E. Ohall, P.A. | Laurie E. Ohall
I have seen it take anywhere from 4 weeks to 3 months for monies to be paid out. Keep calling the company to check on the status and ask them if there is any other information they need from you. Hopefully, you submitted the information via certified mail so that you can document when they received the paperwork.
    DEAN T. JENNINGS, P.C.
    DEAN T. JENNINGS, P.C. | Dean T Jennings
    Reasonable time. Contact them and demand payment again.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Whiteford, Taylor, & Preston | Edwin Fee
    It has only been 6 weeks since the date of death. Perhaps a follow up call or letter will do the trick.
    Della Rocca Law, LLC | Brian R. Della Rocca
    There is no law in Maryland requiring a financial institution to pay benefits to beneficiaries or pay on death designees within a certain period of time after a person dies. As long as the financial institution has all of the information needed to process any claims, the payout should not take long.
    THE BROOME LAW FIRM, LLC
    THE BROOME LAW FIRM, LLC | Barry D. Broome
    There is no specific time limit but some contracts allows for up to 6 months. If not paid by the end of this month, I would contact them again.