is there any hope for an offender to get out of prison after being sentenced to life at 17 and serving 24 years in California? 3 Answers as of December 16, 2010

This person has served 24 years. Sentenced to life. He did this crime at 17 years old. He is now 40. His mandatory minimum is 20 years for the murder charge and mandatory 5 years for the gun charge. He understands the magnitude of what he did and is extremely remorseful. He is a grown man now with values. Is there any possibility of him getting help to be released?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
If sentenced to life without possibility of parole, it means exactly what it says. He will die in prison. Pleading his sympathy and change of life circumstances has no relevance.

If only sentenced to life under the old pre-3 strikes rules, he may be subject to the possibility of parole. However, if he has not had any parole hearing yet, I would guess he is not entitled to one. He can contact a specialist attorney in death row / lifer cases to inquire.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/16/2010
Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy
Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy | Ryan P. Murphy
You need someone that specializes in that issue, and all of the sub-issues that go along with your questions. You can contact the State Bar of California to get a referral in your area.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/16/2010
Dennis Roberts, a P.C.
Dennis Roberts, a P.C. | Dennis Roberts
Unless there was something wrong with his conviction, only the parole board can recommend to the governor that he be released - and most governors ignore their advice. Gov Davis never commuted anyone's prison term. Schwarzenegger commuted very very few despite the parole board recommending it.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/15/2010
Click to View More Answers: