Is there any advantage to my widowed mother to put her home in one of her children's names? 2 Answers as of March 07, 2012

I want to know if there is any advantage to my widowed mother to put her home (pd for) in one of her children's names?

Martin Barnes - Attorney at Law
Martin Barnes - Attorney at Law | Martin Barnes
A conveyance of real property to a child is a significant act. As is often the case, there may be advantages and there may be disadvantages to such an action. In all likelihood, there is a particular problem your mother is trying to solve. Please encourage your mother to seek the advice of an attorney. She can explain the issue that is on her mind and an attorney can guide her as to available alternatives.
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
If your widowed mother wants to leave her house to one of her children, she should make a will. With respect to the disposition of her estate after her death, she should consult with a probate lawyer.