Is there an easy, inexpensive way to get a divorce? 2 Answers as of November 03, 2010

My parents have been separated for years, and my dad is FINALLY trying to get a divorce. They really need to get it over with, but my mom is not doing well right now. She lost her job about 10 months ago, and she cannot afford a divorce, and I think finding out that my dad is filing for divorce will destroy her. Is there an inexpensive, easy way for them to get a divorce? They do not get along well, and I do not think they will be able to agree on things easily, but they have also been separated long enough that dividing property should not be much of an issue.

Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko
Getting a divorce can be pretty easy and relatively inexpensive, however it depends on the willingness of the parties to cooperate. I have handled many cases where I represent one spouse, the other remains unrepresented, and I walk them through the process. We can accomplish everything without ever making a court appearance. Spending a bunch of time running to court is what usually drives the costs up.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.
Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
Uncontested divorces in which both parties agree on everything can be done for only a few hundred bucks, but you said they are going to fight, so that is not going to happen. Your father should hire an attorney to represent him and file the action. Tell him to hire an attorney that is reasonably priced per hour. He does NOT need an attorney charging him $350 or more per hour.