Is there an average cost for getting a patent on a relatively simple mechanial invention? 5 Answers as of July 07, 2011

I have an invention that I've developed and was curious about how much it would cost to patent it.

Intellectual Property Center, LLC
Intellectual Property Center, LLC | Ak Shaf
This is the most common questions and misunderstandings. Every case if unique and the price is dependent on the amount of work involved. there is no off the shelf patents. However, depending on the type of patent (utility vs. design/ provisional vs. non-provisional) the cost should range from 1k to under 10k with most utility non-provisional patents for very simple mechanical devices (US only) being under 7.5k. Good luck.
DANIEL NESBITT
DANIEL NESBITT | Hasse & Nesbitt
There is no fixed cost to patent even a simple mechanical invention. And what you may consider to be "simple" can become complex if there is prior art crowded around it. But as a ballpark, figure on $4000-$10,000, provided that the examination process does not get lengthy.
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
I get a lot of questions like this. There is no way for any lawyer to answer this question without knowing more about your invention. There is no "average cost" because every invention and patent application is different. Further, there is a lot more to this than merely preparing and prosecuting a patent application. Your attorney needs to conduct prior art searches, patent searches, clearance searches, and then work with you to prepare a plan for protecting your IP rights that is consistent with your business plan. Further, the fact that you characterize your invention as a "relatively simple mechanical invention" does not mean that the cost will be lower than other inventions. Sometimes the simplest inventions (such recipes for beverages of food items) can be the most difficult patent applications to prepare and prosecute. The process of preparing, applying for and prosecuting a patent application can be complex. It takes two to five years to get a patent in the U.S. Further, you need to consider whether you should apply for patent protection in foreign jurisdictions
Rhema Law Group
Rhema Law Group | John D. Tran
Patenting an invention is an involved process and the fees and costs are dependent on numerous factors such as the complexity of the invention and the amount of prior art existing. I highly recommend you setting up a meeting with a patent attorney to have him/her answer your questions since its very important that your patent application is drafted properly.
Malhotra Law Firm, PLLC
Malhotra Law Firm, PLLC | Deepak Malhotra
I have price estimates on my website.