Is there an advantage to having a green card holder on a property title? 3 Answers as of February 09, 2011

My husband and I shall buy a house this year. My mother in law, who stays with us, said to own the house in her name as she is a green card holder and going to become a citizen after a few years. She says that we can get some special benefit for her being a green card holder. My husband is on h1b visa and I am on h4 visa. My husband’s green card is going to be filed in a few years and so is mine. I am afraid that that if the house is on my husbands and mother in laws name she might not allow me to stay at the house if something goes wrong. She is not very good with me. I want to know if a house property can be owned in the name of three of us so that nobody remains left out and everyone is secured in life. Is there any special benefit in housing for my mother in law being a green card holder?

Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
Perhaps your mother-in-law will be more specific as to the benefit. It seems to me that the benefit will be hers. I have never heard of it, except that some loan and home improvement programs are limited to permanent residents and citizens.

Yes, a house title can be held by three persons. You are correct to be wary of putting her on the title. That will give her a right to a share of that property. If anyone on the title dies, you might have to sell the house to pay the dead person's creditors.
No, there is not advantage to have a green card holder on a property.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
The only benefit is that as a green card holder she can apply for the Florida Homestead exemption which is beneficial however all three names I believe can go on title plus once your husband's name is on title in FL you have a marital interest which protects you as well.