Is software protected under US patent laws? 2 Answers as of October 22, 2010

My friends and I have started working on Android applications and we want to know if we can patent some software that we have created. How would we find out if software can be patented? Should we talk to a lawyer?

Devon & Associates
Devon & Associates | Marcia A. Devon
Yes, software may be protected under U.S. patent law. Software may also be protected by Copyright, which is usually substantially less expensive than obtaining a patent. I do recommend that you speak to a licensed patent attorney. [Patent attorneys typically have passed at least two bar exams: one in the State in which they are practicing and the Patent Bar. Patent attorneys also typically have undergraduate degrees in engineering or other hard sciences.]
Kafantaris Law Group
Kafantaris Law Group | Theo Kafantaris
Software is patentable, and you should talk to an attorney to get an explanation of your options. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.