Is a signed agreement by two people legally binding if it was not notarized? 2 Answers as of June 19, 2013

Is a signed agreement by two people legally binding if it was not notarized or witnessed by a lawyer? Can two people who have agreed to a payment schedule enter into an agreement on their own? Or is it required that signed documents be notarized and filed with an attorney in order to be legally binding?

The DeRose Lawfirm | Peter J. DeRose
Not all agreements need to be notarized. Not all agreements need to be in writing. I am sure you heard of a verbal agreement. I think the key in your case is whether this agreement was ever adopted and approved by a court. No disrespect, but this is precisely why you should not act without the advice of a skilled lawyer. There is no requirement that a document should be filed with an attorney. Anything that has not been entered with the court in a divorce case is evidence of intent, but you can legitimately argue that the circumstances have changed and you no longer agree to whatever it is that you signed. No one can give you a precise answer without reviewing the document and perhaps a little research. If you need a precise answer, hire an experienced attorney to assist you.
Is a case pending in court?