Is selling fake IDs to underage kids identity theft? 9 Answers as of September 14, 2010

My son was just caught selling fake drivers licenses to underage kids at his college. Can he really be prosecuted for federal identity theft?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of John Carney
Law Offices of John Carney | John Carney
It would not likely be federal, just a state forgery charge. Call me for a free consultation, I could most likely get the charge dismissed completely for a small fee.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 9/14/2010
Smith & John
Smith & John | Kenneth Craig Smith, Jr.
I am not familiar with that particular law but may be he subject to prosecution for false public documents.
Answer Applies to: Louisiana
Replied: 9/11/2010
Beaulier Law Office
Beaulier Law Office | Maury Beaulier
Selling a false ID may certainly be charged as identity theft. Under Minnesota Statutes identity theft may be charged if: a person transfers, possesses, or uses an identity that is not the person's own, with the intent to commit, aid, or abet any unlawful activity.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 9/10/2010
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
Probably, depending upon the facts and IDs involved. Get him an attorney immediately. The goal is to reduce the charges and negotiate a plea bargain to try to avoid trial and conviction. If serious about doing so, and this is in Southern California, feel free to contact me.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/3/2010
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg | Eric Sterkenburg
Under federal criminal law, identity theft takes place when someone knowingly transfers, possesses or uses, without lawful authority, a means of identification of another person with the intent to commit, or to aid or abet, or in connection with, any unlawful activity that constitutes a violation of federal law, or that constitutes a felony under any applicable state or local law.

As you can see you need to provide more information to answer your question. We could arrange a free consultation to answer your question completely.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/22/2010
Click to View More Answers: