Is the rep of the subdivision allowed to lie to perspective buyers when asked a direct question? 2 Answers as of September 17, 2017

I bought a home in a subdivision 12 years ago. I directly asked the rep that was selling house for a resident if there was or would ever be an HOA. I made it clear we (my late husband and I) would not buy if there was any HOA involved then or ever. Person assured me that there wasn't then or ever would be an HOA. Couple of years ago, apparently residents of subdivision couldn't live without one. Now there's one (HOA). How does this work? We would never have bought here if there was any chance that there would be an HOA. I don't want to belong to one and can’t afford any kind of dues. I'm on a fixed income and every penny is accounted for, and I mean every penny.

If you got active in the association, you could have fought it. Now, it's too late.
Downriver Injury and Auto Law | Michael Heilmann
You need to sell. There is no rule against an HOA being formed. Obviously the majority of the folks voted for it.