Is refiling for bankruptcy my best option after filing behind in a Chapter 13? 6 Answers as of December 03, 2010

Being dismissed from chapter 13 bankruptcy, I fell behind because of lack of work, tried to get a modification but did not qualify. Is refilling my best option?

Steven D. Keist, Attorney at Law
Steven D. Keist, Attorney at Law | Steven D. Keist
Probably. You may qualify for Chapter 7 now. If not, you could re-file a Chapter 13.
Mankus & Marchan, LTD
Mankus & Marchan, LTD | Tony Mankus
You may refile, but several provisions apply:

1. You may not refile for 180 days after your case has been dismissed. [Sec. 109(g)]
2. The automatic stay provisions are good for only 30 days after you refile the first time within 1 year of the dismissal. If you refile twice, there is no automatic stay. [Sec. 362(c)(3)]
DiManna Law Office, LLC.
DiManna Law Office, LLC. | Dawn DiManna
Your ability to re-file depends on the dismissal. It is possible that re-filing is your best option, but it depends on more details of your case that were not provided.
Law Office of Raymond J. Dague, PLLC
Law Office of Raymond J. Dague, PLLC | Raymond J. Dague
It is hard to say whether refilling another Chapter 13 or Chapter 7 is the best solution to having your Chapter 13 dismissed. I would be concerned that a second Chapter 13 plan would not be approved if your first Chapter 13 cannot be appropriately modified. Oftentimes the best option for a Chapter 13 being dismissed is to convert it to a Chapter 7 which will avoid most of the expense of filing a second petition. Since you fell behind in your Chapter 13 plan due to unemployment, you might now qualify for the Chapter 7 under the means test while you might not have qualified while you had your previous employment.
Ursula G. Barrios Law
Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
Not if you cannot afford your trustee payments or pay back on your arrears. Chapter 7 sounds like a better alternative in this case.
    What is best varies depending on the facts and circumstances of each individual case. You need to have a comprehensive consultation with a bankruptcy attorney to see what is best for you. Dismissal may have consequences, particularly if you filed your case to stop a pending legal action such as a foreclosure. It also requires you to start all over again on a payment plan. A lot really depends on why you filed Chapter 13 in the first place (as opposed to a Chapter 7).