Is punishment in Washington going to be severe for possession charges and a DUI? 1 Answers as of March 29, 2011

Are the consequences severe for this if it happened in Kennewick? I had no record prior to this. I was just arrested for the first time when police pulled me over, and found marijuana on me. I got charged with a DUI and possession of Marijuana.

Depending on your BAC level, you could be looking at a minimum sentence of two or three days. If the BAC was .15 or higher, that's a mandatory two-day jail sentence. Marijuana has another one-day mandatory sentence. However, you may be able to get the prosecutor to drop the weed charge in exchange for a plea on the DUI. That said, there may be legal defenses available to you including unlawful stop, unlawful search and unlawful arrest. This list is non-exclusive and I would need more information on the evidence against you to be any more exact. Of course the judge can sentence you all the way up to a year in jail. In the current economy, it's more likely that you will be stuck with big fines. The good news is you will be able to get a license to drive with an ignition interlock installed in your vehicle. The bad news is it is expensive and must remain installed for a year. The other thing is you have to fill out the hearing request form the officer should have given you and send in a $200 payment within 30 days of your arrest. Otherwise, your license will be suspended. If you have any other questions or concerns, please call me.